Head in sand, not feathers
Driving home last night I found myself yelling back at the radio. Typically, I reserve my in-car yelling for my fellow car-bound travellers (and the odd pedestrian), but I was so stunned by the level of stupidity and ignorance spewing forth that I found myself fumbling for a writing implement so I could note the name of the addlepate that was speaking. He turns out to be a Republican - please catch me as I swoon in shock. Portion of the transcript below.

All Things Considered, MELISSA BLOCK, host:

This week, we're going to hear a variety of perspectives on what to do with Don't Ask Don't Tell. Today we turn to California Congressman Duncan Hunter. He is a Republican and a former U.S. Marine who served both in Afghanistan and Iraq. ...You are not in favor of a repeal of DADT. Why not?

Rep. HUNTER: No, because I think that it's bad for the cohesiveness and the unity of the military units. especially those that are in close combat, that are in close quarters in country right now. It's not the time to do it. I think it's - the military is not civilian life. And I think the folk who have been in the military that have been in these very close situations with each other, there has to be a special bond there. And I think that bond is broken if you open up the military to transgenders, to hermaphrodites, to gays and lesbians.

BLOCK: Transgenders and hermaphrodites.

HUNTER: Yeah, that's going to be part of this whole thing. It's not just gays and lesbians. It's a whole gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual community. If you're going to let anybody in no matter what preference - what sexual preference they have that means the military is going to probably let everybody in. (emphasis mine...) It's going to be like civilian life and the I think that that would be detrimental for the military.

Oh sweet Baby Jebus, give me strength. I know these people think these things (although 'think' would seem to indicate some degree of contemplation went into the process, but methinks not so much...), but when you actually hear them, it still gives one considerable pause. My theory: this rampant ignorance, this insistence of labelling with words like 'choice' and 'preference', is their subterranean envy of what they envision as this big old melting pot of sticky fun that others are having that they would dearly love to participate in, if they weren't ruled by fear. Just a theory, mind you. But I think the Confederacy of Dunces has a new president.

No comments: